December 05, 2012

Top 10. . .

   I'm sure people have heard of the book series called Top 10, a compilation of a years top 10 biggest, fastest, coolest things in a large spectrum of categories. We have several of these books in our classroom, and we are totally addicted to it!!! Anyways, I thought I would start a semi-regular serious where I would post pictures of my 'Top 10' of some type of orchid, breeding line, breeder, etc.

   Anyone who has been keeping track of the novelty Phalaenopsis world probably recognise the name Yaphon, a breeder/s in Taiwan who have been making some pretty cool stuff, and since I know where their own forum is, I have been able to see pretty much everything they've made. So, I think to kick this series off I'll do my Top 10 favourite Yaphon hybrids!!! Qualifications include uniqueness of the hybrid compared to similar breeding lines, attractiveness of the hybrid, and what I will dub 'revelation hybrids', a cross between two different parents that reveal unique breeding qualities of either parent.


   NOTICE: All following pictures are property of Yaphon Orchids. Pictures are of their plants taken by them, I do not have any ownership whatsoever.


   #10 Brother Trekkie is in here pretty much because I like both of the species, and it's pretty floriferous. It also has great form for a primary.


Brother Trekkie (floresensis x micholitzii)

   #9 This unique Germain Vincent is in here as a 'revelation cross'. We have seen in the past crosses between speciosa and coloured forms of violacea that has made solid coloured hybrids with hints of speciosa's extra saturation. However, by using a violacea var. alba, this hybrid has turned out to look like a much improved speciosa.

Germain Vincent (violacea var. alba x speciosa 'C#1')

   #8 Combining two lines of hybrids I tend to like Yaphon Grow Up is a perfect combination of gigantea-like and micholitzii-like hybrids. I'm sure if this was bred to something bright, we would have an explosion of colour!

Yaphon Grow Up (David Lim x Yaphon Image)

    #7 I've been seeing quite a lot of reds lately, but I really like this cross as it has a very strong yellow base colour, as well as hints of pattern from the lueddemanniana in the background.

 
(Zheng Min Etching x Kung's Red Cherry)

   #6 Earning points for being a unique hybrid and also being a revelation, this is a kind of cross that I would be trying to go for in the future. I plan on crossing equestris and its primaries with other bright novelties to get some fun miniature novelties. Kudos to Yaphon!
Lioulin Sweet (Penang Girl x equestris)
    #5 There are some solid reds from this cross, but this one beat (Zheng Ming Etching x Kung's Red Cherry) because the pattern is phenomenal! I've also heard that this one has some pretty great fragrance!

Yaphon Sensational (LD's Bear King x Corning's Violet)

    #4 Another revelation, this cross and others have been teaching me about speciosa's breeding characteristics. I've been noticing that speciosa will carry on its random pattern when crossed with violacea or a hybrid that has a lot of violacea in it.

 
(Purple Martin 'K.S.' x speciosa 'C#1')

    #3 Who doesn't adore a ridiculously floriferous cross? Combining chibae with pulcherrima and parishii, this cross is a real winner for its uniqueness and sheer beauty

(Anna-Larati Soekardi x chibae)

    #2 Gosh am I envious over this cross!!!! I've been hoping for a colourful gigantea cross that has a bright background and spots without actually making the spots dissapear!

(LD's Bear Queen x gigantea)

   #1 AND THE WINNER!!!!! This is my absolute, most favourite hybrid I have ever seen Yaphon produce. The main reason being that I absolutely ADORE javanica, but it also just rocks!!!! Not only is this unique, as javanica is rarely used, but the colours are downright unique and the form is fabulous! I LOOOVE and I WANT!!

(Tzu Chiang Balm x javanica)
   Well, I hoped you all enjoyed this first Top 10 and all the eye-candy!!! It took me an hour and a half, but I really enjoyed doing it, and I hope you all enjoy it too!!! Maybe some of the future Top 10's can be one of your suggestions!!!

6 comments:

  1. Great list! Number 2 is my absolute favorite from those 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh wow, very cool. I loved it, and there is so much knowledge involved in it so congrats on a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Cody! You've given me something to look for now - #5 shot straight to the top of my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you three!!

    Orchideya: There are a lot of other pictures of #2 posted by various members on BLOF, but I wanted to use pictures from Yaphon only.

    Michael: Yeah, getting the pictures from Yaphon's forum to here was probably the easiest step. The hardest was working with the formatting of the post structure with the pictures that took me the longest, but now I know what to do, the next ones should be a breeze!

    Brigitte: Thanks! It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it! Patrick from Kingfisher Orchids is working to get a nursery from Taiwan (I think they may be like a wholesale vendor who buys from others in Taiwan) licensed to ship to Canada, so I hope that by next spring, Patrick will be able to get the newest hybrids from Yaphon, Chien-lung Liu, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TheBlazingAugust,
      is it somehow possible to contact you or do you have a link to Yaphons Orchids?
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I checked the pictures, they are amazing! I also like one of the parents of #2 - LD's Bear Queen. What a gorgeous flowers, I gues I like anything with bellina in it. I wonder where one might find LD's Bear Queen here in Canada. Kingfisher had them in flasks, but not mature plants in the catalogue.

    ReplyDelete